Why Buy an Organic Mattress?Published: December 16, 2020
Living a healthy life boils down to much more than just a clean diet and regular exercise. Our mattress and bedding choices can have a significant impact on not only the quality of our slumber, but our overall health. Most people spend at least one-third of their lives sleeping, the equivalent of nearly 3,000 hours each year. A large percentage of conventional mattresses in American households are made with synthetic materials laden with toxic chemicals. Some feature a combination of polyester, polyurethane foam and petroleum-based nylon, which are treated with flame retardants or covered in flame-resistant fibers.
Studies have shown that polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), boric acid, melamine and chlorinated tris – common flame retardants – can have severe health effects over the long-term.
Reported health complications include eye irritation, headaches, respiratory tract problems, inflammation, allergies, asthma and even hormone imbalances. You can avoid exposure to semi volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and potential health hazards by choosing an organic mattress, which is crafted from materials that never off-gas and are naturally flame retardant.
Some of the best organic mattresses on the market today are made with natural latex, organic cotton or organic wool, or some combination of these three.
Organic mattress basics
Before buying a new organic mattress, it’s important to do your homework. Labels may shout “eco-friendly,” “green,” or “PVC-free,” but are they certified by a third party to be free of toxic chemicals? Look for certifications from The Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) and GREENGUARD Environmental Institute (GEI).
Some of the most popular organic mattresses are made with:
- Cotton – Organic cotton is naturally breathable and flame retardant.
- Natural Latex – a naturally hypoallergenic and anti-microbial material, organic latex is durable and dust-mite resistant.
- Wool – Organic wool is produced without the use of harmful pesticides. Wool is naturally fire-resistant and helps to regulate temperature and moisture.
Benefits of buying an organic mattress
- Free of toxic chemicals and pesticide residues
- No off-gassing of Volatile Organic Compounds
- Supports sustainable farming and agriculture
- Safer for infants and young children
- Promotes better sleep and health
People who suffer allergies, chronic pain, have a comprised immune system, or are sensitive to chemicals often find comfort and relief by switching to an organic sleep set up that is free of flame retardants and VOCs.
For more information about the advantages of a 100% organic mattress, we invite you to visit Wildcat Mattress, where our Sleep Specialists are happy to help.We are Lexington, Kentucky’s best source for quality sleep systems at affordable prices.
- Wellness Mama, The Truth about Organic Mattresses http://wellnessmama.com/6014/organic-mattresses/
- Dailymom.com, THE IMPORTANCE OF CHOOSING AN ORGANIC MATTRESS http://dailymom.com/nest/the-importance-of-choosing-an-organic-mattress/